It is a great way to help release eye tension, especially after a long session at the online casino, so it’s perfect for gambler health – in fact, it’s a great way to relax, whether your eyes are tired or not! All you need is some hot water, a cloth – may be a microfiber one, to soak up the most water and prolong the relaxing feeling – and a comfortable pillow. In just a few moments, following these simple steps, you’ll be refreshed:
- Fold the towel until it’s a size that covers your eyes and rests on your temples.
- Soak the towel in hot water – checking that the water isn’t too hot for your eyes by testing the temperature with the back of your hand.
- Lie back on the pillow and gently rest the towel over your eyes and temples.
- Breathe slowly and deeply, visualizing the tension leaving your body and feeling your eyes relax.
- When the cloth cools down, soak in hot water again and repeat. Give yourself a five-minute spa to really feel the benefit of this technique.
Give Your Eyes a Workout With Some Eye Rolling
The fastest muscles are the ones in your eyes, and Guinness World Records estimate that they move around 100,000 times a day. So, it makes sense to do everything you can to help keep eye health well. Eye rotation – literally, rolling your eyes – is the perfect workout. The good news is it can be done in just about sixty seconds if you follow these simple steps:
- Focus on your posture and on sitting straight.
- Try and relax your shoulders and face forward.
- Keeping your head still, look to the right as far as you can without moving your head.
- Roll your eyeballs up until you’re looking at the ceiling.
- Then roll to the left – again, as far as you can without moving your head.
- Finally, roll both eyeballs down to look at the floor.
- Repeat, this time going in reverse to look left, up, and right.
- Repeat in both directions 10 times, making sure to do each rep slowly and not rush your eye-rolling.
- To liven it up, you can even start to draw shapes with your eye rolls, taking in additional points with each repetition. Or draw words with your eyes, imagining you’re a superhero with laser vision, burning whatever words you want onto a blank wall!
Look away Now: Maintain Eye Health by Varying Your Focus
There are great exercises everyone who has a lot of screen time can benefit from, and for gambler health, these can really help relieve the strain caused by long sessions at the online casino. Perhaps the most important way to look after your eye health is to change focus, whether that’s through the 20-20-20 rule or just consciously looking away from the screen and focusing your concentration elsewhere.
Californian optometrist Jeffrey Anshel designed the 20-20-20 rule, and the story behind this is covered in a great article in Optometry Times. Again, it’s a simple exercise – and there are plenty of apps to remind you to stick with it.
You take a 20-second break from looking at a screen every 20 minutes. During that break, you should focus on an object 20 feet away, which helps relax the eye muscles. You don’t need to stress too much about the exact distance of the object, and looking out a window and focusing on something across the street can be a great way of doing this. Results of a study involving 795 college students indicated that those who periodically refocused on distant objects while using a computer had fewer symptoms of computer vision syndrome.
More Tips for Relaxing Gambler’s Eyes
In this article, we’ve covered just a few of the most effective techniques to help you maintain focus at the online casino – to maintain your eyesight healthy and help you enjoy the gambling experience. There are lots more ways to protect your greatest asset.
1. Hydration, Hydration, Hydration
Our bodies are more than 50% water, so it’s no surprise that dehydration and eye health are connected. Without proper hydration, we can’t make tears or keep our eyes moisturized, so making sure you drink enough water – about two litres per day – is a critical way to help avoid eye strain.
2. You are What You Eat
As with every other organ in the human body, diet impacts eye health. Consuming Vitamin C and antioxidants are top of the list when it comes to nutrition for gambler health. One study found a significant improvement in eyestrain symptoms when the subjects ate blackcurrants compared to a placebo. A Medical News Today article helpfully lists the 10 best foods for eye health:
- fish – for omega-3 fatty acids
- nuts and legumes – rich in omega-3
- seeds – a rich source of vitamin E as well as omega-3
- citrus fruits – for vitamin C and antioxidants
- leafy green veg – for lutein, zeaxanthin, and vitamin C
- carrots – for vitamin A and beta carotene
- sweet potatoes – rich in beta carotene and a good source of vitamin E
- beef – rich in zinc, for better long-term eye health
- eggs – for lutein and zeaxanthin, as well as vitamins C and E, and zinc
- water – we’re repeating that one, as it can’t be stressed enough!
3. Take a Blink Break to Maintain Healthy Eyesight
As well as the 20-20-20 rule, an easy way to relieve a bit of eye strain is to frequently look away from the screen and do some full blinks. And try making them slow blinks – closing your eyes slowly, keeping them closed for a few seconds, then opening them again slowly. And repeat!!
4. Good Sleep – Good Eye Health
Dolphins may be able to sleep with one eye open, but for us, humans a good night’s sleep is vital – and with both eyes shut. Sleep deprivation has some serious implications for ocular health. Our eyes are naturally lubricated during sleep, and, without it, dry and bloodshot eyes can cause serious trouble, potentially even blindness.